What Happens After Tomorrow? / by Luke Sohl

These past two and a half weeks have been full of running around, climbing up and down ladders, going to the hospital, family, and friends.

The senior graphic design show had it's big "opening" event last Friday and my family and a lot of my friends showed up and it was really great! Before I go any further though, here are some pictures from the gallery during install (don't have any pictures from the actual event, those will be put up later).

Have all my work and the canvas hung. Called it a day after my dad and I had spent about 6 hours installing just this alone.

Those plexiglass pieces were a pain in the butt to hang. It was really difficult trying to get them level, especially when you are trying to hold onto monofilament line and hoping to tie it off without it slipping. I eventually resorted to putting a nail on one side of the eye bolt and having the string wrap around it to level it off. 

It took about 6+ hours to hang the paper (still not complete in this photo). I individually sewed the pages to the canvas. Took a really long time to finish, but I was really happy with how it turned out.

After spending almost an entire day in the gallery sewing the paper on the canvas, I was done and it felt so good! The funny thing is, is that the day I finished the gallery, I was breaking up radiators with a sledge hammer for sculpture, and a huge piece went flying towards my leg. I tried to walk it off but noticed that my pant leg was getting a little bloody, so I lifted my pant leg and my sock was turning a nice color of red. So I went to student health services and I ended up in the hospital getting an x-ray of my leg to ensure that there was no iron that flew into my leg, causing the deep cut. Thankfully they didn't find any iron, so I am still waiting for it to heal up.

Back to the gallery. The gallery was open the entire week but the reception wasn't until that Friday. Talk about a crazy week. My last classes were on Monday and Tuesday and I had to catch up on little projects and get those done and handed in. After that, I just had to fill my time with stuff, trying to wait patiently for Friday.

The day finally got here and my mom and dad came early to take me to lunch (and grab some boxes to make the move home easier) and it was time to head to the gallery. Everything went over swimmingly and I actually received the Fulton Purchase Award. The dean of the Fulton School of Liberal Arts purchased my Erasing History series for the permanent collection. It was a huge honor and I was able to drop them off on Monday and they should be going up soon! It's really exciting to know that my work will stay with the school and people will be able to see it for many years to come. 

Since that was the last big thing for my college career, I pretty much have not been doing anything and have just been waiting for Graduation, which is tomorrow!! While I am really excited for graduation and to celebrate my time and accomplishments at Salisbury, the day also comes with some sadness and uncertainties. First of all, I have been here for five years and this is really all I have known. It will be weird to not live across the apartment complex from my friends and not be able to just go over and hang out. It will be weird not to go to classes, but let's be honest, I won't miss that at all. 

With that , I am still looking for a job and have no clue what I will be doing with myself these next few weeks while I search for jobs and waiting to hear from places. I am hoping to work a lot on the show that I am in come August and be able to make some good headway on work for the show. Other than that, not really sure. I guess just catching up with friends and probably helping my parents finish painting the house. 

Well, I think this has gone on long enough. More pictures of the gallery and graduation to come, and updates on work for the show in August.

(BELOW: A few more pictures from the gallery)